Monday, January 05, 2009

2 Days until Ghana!

Well... I know what my placement will be!!!!

Just call me Miss Ellams for the next 6 weeks!!!

"The School was established in September, 1985 to provide quality and affordable basic education to the youth in and around Hohoe in the Hohoe District of the Volta Region. It was founded by the Church Musama Disco and later on taken over by the government of Ghana. It is now managed by the government through the Hohoe District Assembly. Government is the sole financier of the school.

The school currently has about three hundred and thirty two (332) students. They run the following courses; Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Pre Technical, Pre Vocational studies, Religious and Morals studies and Agriculture science. It has a kindergarten, primary one through to six and a junior secondary (junior high) school.

Volunteer Activities / Duties
Teaching conversational English
Teaching simple arithmetic
Teaching rhymes and action songs
Playing games and other outdoor activities
Teaching basic hygiene
Taking the kids to places of interest and events.
Assist teachers by grading papers and organizing learning activities.
Organize projects and activities for the children.

Goals of the Partner Program

Long-Term
Provide free basic education to kids.
Provide pre technical/vocational skills to the kids so as to earn an income if they are not able to further their education.

Short-Term
Expose the children to a culture that is totally different from their own.
Looking for diverse way of teaching the children"


I am so nervous! I knew I would end up a a school and this was the one I was most nervous about. I know I will be fine but I suppose I was just being lazy as I know this will be a challenge for me, which is good! It will be a good learning experience for me! I have been looking into lesson plans and activities already and created a cheesy book with photos of my house, family , life etc to show the kids.

I leave on Wednesday and am staying at a hostel for a couple of days the Crystal Hostel and then start the program on Saturday.

I am so excited to be a long term volunteer again. The last couple of programs I have been a week long, which are great if that is all the time you have. (Rubbish US Holiday allowance!!!)But I am really looking forward to really being able to soak in the culture and build some great relationships.

So I am all packed and ready and just have to sit and twiddle my thumbs for the next 2 days!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment