Thursday, January 08, 2009

Ghana!

So I made it here! The plane was an hour delayed at Frankfurt but otherwise everything could not have gone more smoothly! The plane from Frankfurt to Accra was huge! It had a downstairs section with about 6 toilets in!!! I have never been in plane that had a downstairs part before!

The hostel is fine basic but fine. There are a couple of guys from Kent and my roommate is from Connecticut.

Today I went for a walk along the main road and bought a Ghanaian simcard.
it was not what I thought Ghana would be like, although I didn't really know what it would be like. It might be because I am in Accra which is a big city but it's crazy busy and the roads seem more dangerous than NYC!

In the afternoon I decided to brave a tro-tro to Kaneshie Market. A tro-tro is a like a mini bus but with a million people packed in and the door hanging off the hinges with guy hanging out of the door shouting where the tro-tro is going.
So I made it ot the market and it was HUGE and completely overwhelming. The different smells, the different fruits and vegetables the people shouting Hi Brunie (white person) all the time. I feel slightly like a celebrity as the kids seems fascinated by my whiteness.
So after drinking my coconut water from my freshly chopped coconut I decided to try and find a tro-tro back.

Which I did courtesy of Sheriff who insisted on giving me his number and his friends. I got on the tro-tro and told the guy where I was going, we tootled along and he told me this was my stop. Assuming that he knew better then I did I got off and began walking in the direction I thought was right. After about 10 minutes I still didn't really recognise anywhere so decided to get in a taxi. I told the taxi driver where I wanted to go and he didn't know. Neither did the 10 or so other people that we asked on the 45 minute drive!!!
I called my roommate who gave us directions and we headed in the right direction. We headed right back to where he had picked me up!!! The hostel would have been another 10 minute walk from where I had doubted myself!

Moral of the story - Jocelyn actually does have a good sense of direction!!

Marriage proposal count - 2

2 comments:

  1. Marriage proposal count - 2. ??????????? Explain!!!!

    I'm glad you have arrived safe and sound. MISS YOU!!!! Cant wait to hear more stories. As for stories from HQ... its 18 degrees and snowing. Steve and Carolina are expecting baby #2 in March! I put in an offer for an apartment, I'm waiting to hear back... cross your fingers for me!!! help me out with good luck.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joss,

    Thinking of you! I can just imagine you in Ghana. Can't wait for your next blog. I miss you very much here! Tonight I'm going out for Libhy's b-day!

    Love,
    Nat

    ReplyDelete