Saturday, June 14, 2008

The End is nigh......

So my week in Costa Rica is coming to an end....

As I expected the week has been amazing. The School I have been working is such a fantastic place. The kids that come to the school come from abusive and/or extremely poor backgrounds. The school is their safe place where they come to be educated in the hope that they can build a better life for themselves.

We painted a mural, did recreational activities with kids and just hung out with them.
The teachers at this school care for the children so much and really want to help make a better future for them. It is amazing.

My group were equally as good and as usual on a Cross-Cultural Solutions program I know I have made some life long friends.

I have been to an organic coffee farm, a volcano, had salsa lesson, Spanish lessons, cooking lessons. There has been so much packed into this week.

This week has been exactly what I needed!! Seeing the impact the volunteers have on the partner programs we work with is amazing. Hearing about the changes in the volunteers and how it impacts their lives is equally amazing and makes me extremely proud to work for CCS. It is so hard to forget what we do working in a office and participating in a program refreshes why I chose to move half way across the world to work for them!

I cannot rave about the staff enough. They are FANTASTIC. They are so dedicated and care so much about the volunteers and the partner programs, that it leaves me in awe of them.

We had a meeting this afternoon, where the got all the staff together, we had coffee and ice cream and they made me feel so special!! When it is them that do all the hard work!!

So now I am sitting in Jose's apartment (listening to Dancing Queen by Abba!!!) getting ready to go out in San Jose, hoping that tomorrow doesn't really come. I am hoping that when Santi (the Program Coordinator) said the office called and said I was to work form Costa Rica and move in with him that is was true.

It has been a wonderful week and of course I am sad that it has to end but I must get back to reality!

Pura Vida!!!

Photos later.. many photos later....

No comments:

Post a Comment