Friday, August 28, 2009

Jeju Island

So this past week I have spent on my jolly hollies in Jeju Island I had tried to book some hotels but all off them seemed to be full, so I decided to wing it and just turn up and find some places to stay. I am normally a pretty organised and planned person so this was a little outside of my boundaries. But still as my new mantra in South Korea is 'It's a challenge, it's all a learning experience' I decided to go for it. Plus I was not going to sit in 'The Goon' for a whole week.


So this was the route I took over the 5 nights I was there.



So a run down of the week...


Sunday
The flight was so short, I wish that all my flights were only 36 minutes long! There was the favourite korean game of rock scissor paper to win tickets for some show. Unfortunately I fell asleep so missed out. I arrived at the airport, picked up a map and jumped on the number 600 bus. My original plan was to get of at Jungman Resort. I thought seeing as this was a touristy area so the best place to find a hotel. Nothing really took my fancy, as it all seemed like really expensive hotels. I stayed on the bus and eventually got off at the world cup stadium. I had a look around and then met a girl from the US. She pointed me to Seogwipo and I ended up meeting her that night to watch her sing and some of her friends do some readings.
I booked into a hotel, feeling pretty happy with my self that this was all turning out ok and I had somewhere to sleep.
I headed down to the harbour and went to Choenjiyeon water falls.




Monday
I decided I wanted to go to Jeju Sculpture park, the woman at reception did not really speak much English but pointed me up the hill to the bus station. After waiting fro 10 minutes at a bus stop, I asked some and realised I was on the wrong side. I went over to the other stop, stood there for a few minutes, and found out I was still in the wrong place. Fortunately a lady, literally took me and lead me round the corner and I found the actual bus terminal!! I was told I had to change buses somewhere and hopped on a bus. After about 20 minutes on the bus, I saw tourist information centre and thought someone there would speak English. Bob's your uncle I was also sorted and get back on the same bus number that I had got on before brandishing a note in Korean that said Sculpture park, which I waved at the driver. After another 20 minutes the driver stop and waved at me and pointed around the corner. I was there!! After about 2 hours, I had finally made!! I was soooo proud of myself. To top it off the place was beautiful and empty. I spent a several hours wandering around. and was chased by some ducks!





I then headed to Yeomiji Botanical Gardens, Choenjoyeon water falls and then the beach. I decided to stay in Seogwipo for another night.


Tuesday
After being groped by an adjama (a little old lady) at the bus stop, I was on my way to Pyoseon. I went to Jeju Folk Village and then spent the afternoon at the beach.


Wednesday
The plan was to head to Gimnyeong, find a hotel and then go the Manjangul caves. However after getting off in Gimnyeong, I couldn't find a hotel, so got back on the bus and headed to Hamdoek instead. Found a hotel then got back on the bus to go back the way I had come previously! I got off the bus at the entrance of the caves, which was about a 30 minute walk down a road and was chased by 2 Korean sisters who kept saying walking walking and marching on the spot. We finally figured out we were going to the caves so shared a taxi and wandered around the caves together. We then went to Kim Nyoung Maze park. The girls lived in Busan so now I have people to stay with when I go there!


Thursday
I made my way to Jeju-Si for my last day before heading home. The bus driver had plonked me in the front seat and kept pointing at things I should look at. I found a 'hotel' near the bus station to make it easier to get to the airport the next day. I went fora wander around and walked down to Tapdong. Then it started to chuck it down. I mean it was thundering, lightening and CHUCKING it down.



Fortunately I had booked tickets to see Nanta so went off to sit in a nice dry theatre. The show was amazing!!!





So that was it!
Originally I was pretty nervous about traveling around by myself, but it was actually fine! I could do what I wanted, when I wanted. It was also a huge confidence boost knowing that I can successfully travel somewhere where I don't even speak the language, by myself and have a great time!
Yay me!


See the over 200 photos here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment