Thursday, March 18, 2010

This week after working in O2 Grande for nearly 10 months, I finally got to see inside one of the apartments! One of my adults invited me over for lunch. Or a 3 hour marathon eating session!! We ordered Chinese, had a massive plate of strawberries, ice cream, cookies, this fish bread or bungeonppang chocolate and more!

The apartment was pretty nice but I thought small for a 4 person family. There were 2 bedrooms, a small study, an en suite for the master bedroom, bathroom, open plan living room / kitchen, a sort of loft area and a small rooftop terrace. I guess it is just because I grew up in a 3 bedroomed house, with a front and back garden!
It did have some pretty funky gadgets, including a touch screen pad you could use to call other apartments and the lift, so that by the time you leave the apartment and walk to the lift, it is there!

This week I also worked out how much I actually work. My contract is for a 35 hour week. I used to go in at 11 but not start teaching until 2. They fortunately decided this was a waste of time. So now I am in for 24 hours out of my 35 hour contract - yet still get paid for 35. Out of those 24 hours at work, I only actually teach for 15!!

I have also been trying to figure out the date I will come back to the UK. My contract is done May 31st but I finish teaching on May 21st.

I started to think that I may actually miss Korea! It is a pretty easy life here, the money is good, I have my own studio, the job is pretty easy and I enjoy it.

I have a good social life, I have the sushi place that know me, Wow and Joy, the bar that always gives me free stuff. Even the people at the bank know me. I was transferring money and the Bank Manager kept loitering near me obviously wanting to impress me with his English - which he did!

I have been going to the gym about 2 or 3 times a week recently. I have been trying to go in the mornings, as it is quieter and also do the 9 o'clock classes of spinning and yoga. The guy who does the yoga class is really nice and I am sure is telling the class wonderful words of wisdom to improve your health but I obviously don' understand any of it.

The lady who does the spinning is slightly scary and shouts at you if you sit down. She also incorporates these jazzy hand moves along with cycling like a crazy woman, disco lights and ear splitting K-pop. I am not yet brave enough to let go and join in the jazz hands for fear of losing control and falling off!

There is also this loud and I thought slightly obnoxious trainer, who when I did go in the evenings would shout encouragement at me, so that the whole gym would turn round and look at the fat sweaty foreigner - hence why I tend not to go the gym in the evenings anymore!

However I went last night and it just turns out that he loves me and gave me some traditional Korean cake! As much as I hate the gym the instructors are all really nice and do know me and always try and use what little English they do know on me.

However much I complain about Korea, the people here are lovely and life is pretty good. I was thinking about all the things I miss back in the UK. Turns out there wasn't that much! Some types of food, being able to shop for clothes, of course family and friends. It will have been a year since I last set foot on British Soil -the longest amount of time I have not been back before.

I do think that going back to the UK will be a massive culture shock. I will be able to read and understand signs. I will be able to order a meal and know exactly what I will get. I will be able to understand all the channels on the TV. I will be able to sort out my own phone contract/gas bill problems - what a novelty!!

It is so crazy to think that I will have been here for a year soon, it seems to have gone so quickly!
73 days until the end of my contract!

No comments:

Post a Comment