Saturday, January 07, 2012

Extending a Toursit Visa in Brazil

I had found out that the school I was working at in the UK was having problems with student numbers (for a change!) and also that I was unable to move back to where I had been living in Leeds. I took this as a sign that I was meant to stay in Brazil for longer!I wanted to extend my Tourist visa until April, when I have to be in the UK for a hen party I am organising and also a wedding in which I am a bridesmaid!

The process seems to be pretty easy. This website was extremely helpful.  So I printed off all the appropriate forms, photocopied a few things and printed off a bank statement. Fabio had decided it was better to say that we were just friends and I wanted to extend my stay to see more tourist things.

After taking a few buses, walking in the afternoon sun we finally got to Joinville Federal Police. We  said that I wanted to extend my visa and the guy (I am not sure if he was an officer as he was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and didn't look very professional!) looked through my passport. He mentioned I had had Brazil a lot by looking at all the stamps. Fabio responded it was because we were 'namorar' or dating. So much for not saying we were together!! He seemed pretty satisfied with that. But told us to come back next week. They would renew the visa from that day and seeing as I still had time left on my current visa it made sense to do it later to make the most of it. He gave us the 'Requerimento de Prorrogacao de Prazo DPF - 270' to fill out.

'Requerimento de Prorrogacao de Prazo DPF - 270'
Requerimento de Prorrogacao de Prazo

If you look at Official Use part it has tickboxes for:

  • Means of subsistence
  • Plane ticket
  • DARF - the Guia de Recolhimento da União
  • SINPI- I am not sure what this means, I think it maybe something to do with getting your finger prints or 'biological data'?
  • Financial capacity - how you will support yourself while in Brasil
  • Work Contract - to show you have a job back in the UK
  • Proposal by the lecturer - I think this is my reason for staying?
So anyone looking to extend their tourist visa, it is probably a good idea to have evidence of these.

We then headed to a Banco Do Brasil to to pay the 67 reais with a  Guia de Recolhimento da União, so we have everything ready and will head back on Monday to complete it.

Fingers crossed it shouldn't be a problem..... More updates on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment