Wednesday, June 08, 2005

nearly time to go!

i was really on the brink of staying i really was.
Im having such a good time and i love being with the kids but i think i shouldleave on a high note.

Last night i watched the sun go down by the elevator over the lower city eating corn on the cob and just watching the world go by. Then in the evening obvoiusly it wasall the drumming. You really cannot understand how fantastic it is, there is so much energy and such a good feeling, thats why i though i wanted to stay.

I feel like i have made a difference even though i may have not done much. i know this sounds corny (oh my god im turning into an american!) but someone said that if the kida come running up to you then your in their hearts and they do so I am hoping that they will remember me. Sometimes I feel really proudof myself for coming here by my self but the teacher in my room is also a volunteer and works 7.30-5.30 everyday for nothing,so am i really helping.
I was talking to Taz our driver and he was daying how mcuh respect he has for us and the fact that we pay to come over here and work with people who need it, that waswhen i realised that i have made some sort of a differnce. the people here are so grateful for what seems like so little to me.Juststupidthings like teaching the kids a song, my teacher finds it really funny to drag anyone whos passing into the room and makes me sing im a littel square of tin or head shoulders knees and toes in portuguese! so if nothing i provided some sort of entertainment anyway!!!

also if i dont go out we just sit and chat and i feel ive learnt so much about other cultures as well and just different places and people - mainly americans but hey!

Im normally the really chatty one but recently ive justsatand listened to ther peoples opinions and feel ive sort of grown in myself.

I think i can really go out and do anything know i have so much i can offer,these kids have nothing and they are so happy, it makes me feel really grateful for what i do have and for my family and for all the opportunities i have and hopefully will have.
soenough of the gushing and thank you to everyone who has supported me trust meit was reallly really really worth it!

oo and a really old boke proposed to me today aswell!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:31 pm

    You have made a difference Joss, you are such an amazingly happy person that anyone/everyone is lucky to meet... you made me have tears in my eyes with this entry, I know exactly how you feel, (there is nothing wrong with American culture!) just keep smiling your happy smile! see you soon sweetie, k xxx

    ReplyDelete