Sunday, January 17, 2010

English names for Students

I got a new student in my adult class this week. Her name is Paul.... Yes, HER name is Paul. I wasn't sure whether she meant Paula, so asked her to repeat it a few times but it was most definitely Paul. Then I started to doubt her gender and had to confirm with my co-teacher that she was a woman. I don't really know what to do now, having had 3 lessons with her I can't really say now 'oh by the way your name is a man's name'

At the start of each term, if I get new kids, I always give them an English name, this sounds really arrogant but all English Academy's do this. It does make it easier when you have names like Ji Eun, Ji Won, Joo Young, Joon Young etc etc.

Unfortunately, if I am not there when the kids are being given their names, they can end up with some pretty strange ones.

I have a couple of best friends called Bella and Fella. A Jade who somehow became a Jada, another class that is named after the cast of Gossip Girl. Once I forget my list of names so also have a class named after all my family!

It did get a bit confusing when one of my students who I had named moved over to the other academy and was given a new name!

Other names I have heard off fellow teachers are:
Harry Potter - (at an all girls school)
Satan
Hitler
Hulk
Drunken Sheep (The reasoning behind this one was that she has curly hair, like a sheep, and goes pink in the cold and so looks drunk)
Golem
Crazy Grandfather Dinosaur,
Brother, Sister (who are in fact brother and sister),
Umbrella

There is a facebook application that works out your Korean name, as sometimes the kids do ask me what my Korean name is. Apparently it is Gi (기) meaning "brave one". Pretty easy to remember!

1 comment:

  1. Eric Proops8:28 am

    I also have a class named after Gossip Girl! Their idea, not mine. I also had a student insist he be called Jessica.

    ReplyDelete