Monday, May 16, 2005

Hello!

well eveyone Im here!!!

the Sau Paulo to Salvador flight was delayed but besides that it was all fine!
Had a massive culture shock on Saturday and did think oh my god what am I doing here but Ive settled down now.

There is two girls that have been here for 5 weeks already and they seem to know everything and can even speak the language now. We were taking to them and they warned us about all the crime etc and made me a bit scared to go out and really quite paranoid, when actually its fine.
We went to the square on Saturday night and had a wonder around bt there wasnt much happening. We did get harrassed by quite a lot of kids who try and tie things and your hand as a present and then harrass you to buy something.
Then on Sunday we went to the beach - it was gorgeous!!!

The food is really nice and loads of fresh fruit which is good.

Its not what I expected I dont know what I expected but this wasnt it.
The home base is really nice its on the side of a hill above a dual carriage way type thing so its quite noisey.

I went to visit my placment today its a day care centre with 300 kids!! I~m going to be working with the 1-2year olds who are so cute. They all just want to be hugged and have some attention. I got to visit all of everyones placement and some places were a bit of an eyopener and makes you realsie how good home is.

The centre I~m working at was founded by a woman who used to look after children in her stick house - which is litterally houses on sticks above water and sewage, beacsue they are so badly made the children often fell through the boards into the water and died, so the church gavethem some land and now they have a proper building.

Everyone here is either bery poor or very rich there is no inbetween.
I fell like Ive settled in a more now I was well bascailly freaking out on Saturday.
Also had some portugeuse lesons today as no at my placement speaks English - well its one way to learn the language fast!!!
If anyone wants to ring me then can about 9 or 11pm were normally around then, also I can txt and recieve texts on my phone!
But anyway Im all ok and safe, this internet cafe is only up the road so Ill try to keep uptodate!!
byeee!!! xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:13 pm

    Hey,

    I am glad you are there - sorry i just missed you on MSN i was in charlottes room, maybe ill catch up with you soon!

    My news - Our business is now on the back burner as there were too many arguments - it's all happy now - I am gonna try and work freelance properly!

    I have been helping set up for the the end of my degree - it is all very exciting - but (phew) hard work.

    There is currently no man on the scene...

    Hope you stay well and safe, I am thinking of you k xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:49 pm

    joss

    ur placement sounds amazing and the kids look sooooo cute!!! beats the 9-5 at the office!!! i hope ur enjoying every moment! hope to see u when u get back from ur adventures!! so was there a nutter on ur 11hr flight!! hope u didnt sit nxt to a man who didnt want to pay his extra luggage fees so decided to wear his whole suitcase!!!!!!!!!!

    miss ya lots
    luv sarxx

    p.s keep us updated with all ur news!!!

    ReplyDelete