Thursday, June 04, 2009

빅 브라더 집에서 일 2 ( Day 2 in the Big Brother House)

Well, after 4 hours sleep, I was wide awake at 3am. I caught up with lots of people on line and made lists of things I need to get. Essentials like bins, washing up liquid et, then fun stuff like a lamp, clock etc.

I got picked up by Elizabeth 20 minutes late to go to an opening ceremony at the City Hall.
We drove into Jeonju and went to the university. I say drove more like.. speeded along the motorway, slammed on brakes before speed cameras. Elizabeth is a crazzzy driver. The speed limit was 90km/h and she was doing 133km/h, then would slam on the brakes just before a speed camera. Then at one point on the motorway, she slammed on the brakes, stopped and plugged her satnav in!!! she would stop in the middle of crossroad to decide which way to go and got really easily distracted!!! I should definitely check my insurance policy to see if it covers her driving!!! I would feel much safe on an ostrich!

So we got to the uni and the gut who picker me up yesterday was there, the Director, a Guy around my age and some other dude. Woosuk uni seems a pretty nice uni, it is a private uni and the campus is really nice.

I was then driven over to the City Hall. I walked into the room and was laid out with 3 people at the head and then 12 more seats in a U shape. One of the seats had my name on. The the Mayor of Jeonju came in and the President of the University and 2 Korean Mafia looking guys who sat at the head of the U. There was a video camera a about 3 photographers. It was all very formal!

At the beginning they introduced everyone and were going along my side of the U, so I assumed that I was next so stood up and say hi, as the previous people before me. OOPS! they were not introducing me!! They introduced the other people, then said something and they all laughed then introduced me! Oops!

There were some speeches, not that I understood much. The President mentioned Shakespeare. Apparently he said the best way to learn English was to have debates and get an English boy/girlfriend. So now Mr 'Dude up picked me up' said he should find an English girlfriend. He asked if I would marry a Korean man, what his qualities would be and took me out for lunch... hmmm.
The was taken back to Gunsan to the school, Daniel and Elizabeth were there and were sorting things out. I got copies all the text books I will be using and 1 weeks of lesson plans.

so I think it looks like this:
2-2.50 - Adult class
3-3.45 - Kindergarten
4-4.45 - Grade 1/2
5-5.45 - Grade 3/4
6-6.45 - Grade 5/6

The classes are 12 students and the student only come for 3 days. They will come for 2 days during the week, then on Fridays, the groups combine for activity day.
Every other Friday, I will be teaching 'over there'.... not quite sure where 'over there' is yet.

It all looks pretty fun, we are doing passports and immigration and have proper leather bound Woosuk Uni passports!! They also have hula hoops, footballs, loads of pens etc. It is a totally different field from Ghana.

The Classroom


Reception Area with Daniel on the left and Mr 'Dude who picked me up' on the right


Then went and opened a bank account. I will get a card with my Korean name on!!!
Went back to the office, sat around for a bit and headed home at about 6.30.
I was knackered!!! Had some dinner and moved some furniture around. Managed to find an English film and feel asleep during it!

No comments:

Post a Comment