Monday, June 08, 2009

First Day at School

Isabel (Yes I have finally figured out her name it is not Elizabeth but Isabel!) picked me up at 9.30. Drove through a couple of red lights, pulled out in front of a few cars and then arrived at work.
The school is still not really ready, or not what I would call ready. But there was a big arch way that had appeared for Immigration. We had a security check and issued each person with their own passport.
Again the resources of this places completely overwhelms me!
We had a an opening ceremony with more important people, cameras, tv cameras and ribbon cutting.

Then at 2 I had my first class. This was the adult class, which consisted of 3 people.
The first thing I did with each class was give them an English name, this is such a odd thing to do but makes it sooo much easier for me! So I have Brooke, Chloe, Isabel, Edward, Ellis, Charlie to name but a few.
To be honest I had loads of thing organised for hte class but needed to print, laminate etc. Unfortunately I was too busy trying the help make the place look presentable to do it all.
The classes al seem to go pretty well. They were not as fun and interactive as I hoped. The sizes ranged from a couple of classes with just one person up to 6 people.
The kindergarten class started off with 3 kids, 2 parents and a baby brother and ended up as just one little girl.

I believe it had some thing to do with one of the songs.
It went like this:

Peel the banana (repeat twice), slice the banana (repeat twice), eat the banana(repeat twice), poo the banana(repeat twice), wipe the banana(repeat twice), flush the banana(repeat twice)'!!!!

Over all the classes were fine, despite me feeling really nervous and unprepared.. (my contract said training.. hmmm that didn't happen!)
Finished classes at 7, then went to buy some materials for school. Then Isabel took me for dinner. I think she is really worried about me as she called in on Saturday evening and brought me water melon. I don't think she realises I am dying to get back to my studio, have a cup of tea, some alone time and catch up on emails!

Any way we went for Shabu shabu. This was my first proper Korean eating experience. We had to take out shoes of at the door, and sat on the floor at low tables.

The food was great. They basically threw everything in this boiling pot of broth. Including the meat... yes I am just going to have to get over that one. It was pretty good though. Still struggling with the chop sticks, although I can use them at home, but the stainless steel ones they have EVERYWHERE seem a lot more difficult to use.

Finally got home about 10 and am shattered and ready for my bed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment