Monday, July 06, 2009

Scary foreign teacher terrorises expecting mothers

So after chatting with Jo, I realised I may have been a bit hard on KM. I am her first foreign teacher and am also fiercely independent. We just need to learn each others boundaries and figure out how to work harmoniously with each other.

I went into work today. I answered all of her questions politely. Where did you go what did you do. How many boys were there. How old were they. How many times did you go to the bathroom this weekend... (ok maybe not the last one but nearly)

Then she began to discuss the adult classes with me. I had previous been told that my pub quizzes were stressing out the 2 unborn babies in the class. On Friday I had done an episode of Friends and got them to answer questions about it. It was pretty hard actually. There were no speakers, so they couldn't really hear anything and I realised that it was hard at the time.

She proceeded to tell me, my lessons were to hard, they were scared to come to my activity lessons on Fridays and it gave them all headaches. I am not allowed to introduce any new materials. I am only allowed to use thing from book. I am also not allowed to lesson plan any more.

I was gutted. I knew my class on Friday was hard. I don't know how much of it is true or how much she is just exaggerating. It really knocked my confidence and I was dreading the adult class. I really felt like saying ok you teach the class and I will just assist.
She was just so patronising about it though. She was saying they are mommies they are not very good. For a start, they are mums and also they grasp of English actually very good. They are here paying to learn, so I am not going to be really easy on them as they are here to learn. They have to be challenged in order to advance.

Anyway, we will see if anyone cries on Friday.....

Also on the boy front. She was asking about the boys at the air force base from the weekend and did I fancy any of them. I told her no. She asked why not? Why did I not have a boyfriend. I tried to explain to her that boys were too much trouble and I wanted to be able to go and do my own thing. She responded by going oooo I see you like girls with a shocked look on her face. I tried to rectify the situation by saying, no I like men, black men actually. Her response what black and pretty much utter terror. At this point I was wondering what she would find more accepting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment